Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Rules and Operating Points4 posts
Posted - Edited
The first stage of Brooks' personal quest states that if at any time you have 4 or more weaknesses, you take a 321 card and banish this. I was deliberately stocking up on weaknesses so I could complete this quest. As I understand it, there are
different weaknesses:
ill, exhausted, injured and confused
. All weaknesses stipulate that you can't keep duplicates of that same weakness. Instead, you immediately take an extra penalty, specific to that weakness type, and then return the duplicate.

At one point, I had 3 different weaknesses on Brooks. I got into a situation where I could take a duplicate of one of those weaknesses. Wanting to progress Brooks' quest, I reasoned that even if I had to 'immediately' take a penalty and return the duplicate weakness, there has still been a infinitesimally small point in time where I had 4 weaknesses first. Therefore, the 'when you have 4 or more weaknesses' condition of Brooks' quest would also be fulfilled, thereby also taking effect immediately. Faced with two immediate effects at the same time, I would be allowed to choose which one took effect first.

(Spoilers for progressing Brooks' quest)
The reward for progressing the quest, specified on card 321, allowed me to return 3 weaknesses and take a 099 (hope reborn) card. I reasoned that I could discard the duplicate weakness that I just pulled, thereby avoiding its 'immediate' penalty altogether.

The question is: is that a valid interpretation of the order of events? Should I still have taken the penalty for the duplicate weakness I pulled before progressing the quest? Or should I never even have had the chance to progress Brooks' quest, since I actually had to resolve the immediate effect of the duplicate weakness first, after which I wouldn't 'ever have had' 4 weaknesses at a time?
Posted
I cannot answer the timing question (allowing something to be done "at any time" usually causes trouble) but would like to remark that there is at least one more weakness card
013 jinxed
(And good luck with finding the
mage
.)
Posted - Edited
I'd argue - unofficially, and with nothing but my own gut to go on - that "immediately" effectively trumps "at any time". There is no time at which you have 4 weaknesses, because immediately upon drawing the duplicate you return it. Unless the quest card specifically said "immediately upon drawing your 4th weakness card" or something equivalent; then it would be a tie for you to choose between.

I'd also argue that in a coop and/or solo game, you should feel free to interpret the rules however you like. You did a clever thing; I wouldn't stress about it.
Posted
DevNull wrote:
I'd argue - unofficially, and with nothing but my own gut to go on - that "immediately" effectively trumps "at any time". There is no time at which you have 4 weaknesses, because immediately upon drawing the duplicate you return it. Unless the quest card specifically said "immediately upon drawing your 4th weakness card" or something equivalent; then it would be a tie for you to choose between.

I confirm that this is indeed the correct interpretation.
Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Rules and Operating Points4 posts